yesterday i saw another blogger make homemade pop-tarts and i was intrigued. so this evening i decided to give it a try. ugh.
here's the recipe, but i'm not sure who invented it originally since i saw it posted on other recipe websites:
from a sweet fantasy
For Pie Crust
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup butter, softened
3 tbsp. cold water
Jam (your choice)
1 cup powdered sugar
milk to thin
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Add shortening and butter and blend with a fork, pastry cutter, or your hands. Blend until mixture is fairly coarse. Add water, 1 tbsp. at a time, gently mixing dough after each addiction until dough forms a ball.
2. Place dough on a lightly floured surface and roll into a square/rectangle. To about 1/8 thickness. Cut out long strips about 2 inches wide and 3 inches long. Repeat until dough runs out.
3. Take one pie crust rectangle and lace 1 tsp. of jam on top. Cover with another piece of pie crust and crimp all four edges. Repeat with the rest of dough. Place Pop-tarts on a baking sheet with parchment paper, and bake for 7-8 minutes.
4. While pop-tarts are baking, make glaze. Place powdered sugar in a bowl. Pour milk slowing until it has a consistancy of really thick syrup. 1/2 a tbsp. to 1 tbsp. might be enough.
5. Once pop-tarts are done and cooled, top with glaze. Sprinkle and decorate with colorful sprinkles.
this is one of the first things i've made that did NOT work out. i couldn't get the dough right, even after trying to fix it in various ways (refrigerating it before rolling, adding more flour, etc). i'm not sure what i did wrong, and it looks like the blogger i got the recipe from isn't answering questions people have left.
after a struggle i made 5 'tarts and baked them. after they came out i tried one and was not impressed with the taste. the dough was too bland.
at least they looked ok. (the other ones turned out better but i was in a hurry to get them DONE since i thought they were kind of gross).